Thursday, July 16, 2009

Meet Your Red Licorice Team: Pam Tobias


I am Pam Tobias, Volunteer Manager for Red Licorice Events. I think I got the job because I wore a red shirt to the interview. It’s the little things that matter! Actually I’d like an alternate title of Cat Herder, since working with volunteers is much like herding cats! My job is to gather together a group of people with busy lives and get them all going in the same direction, just for a little while. I am up to the challenge!

I’m a long time Austinite, and I’ve participated in sports in some manner for as long as I can remember. In high school I played on the Junior Varsity basketball team. If you ever meet me in person, you’ll see how deluded I was and I’ll laugh at me with you. Since then I’ve dabbled in soccer, softball, volleyball, and racquetball. I discovered triathlons and distance running 5 years ago, and since then I’ve competed in 3 marathons, countless shorter distance running events, numerous sprint distance triathlons, one Olympic triathlon, and if all goes well, I’ll be competing in my first half iron distance race this fall.

Professionally I have been a software developer and project manager until recently. When one door closes, another opens, and I am now reinventing myself as a fitness professional, studying for my personal training certification. By the time you read this, I may be certified!

By combining my passion for fitness, my love of events, and my project management skills, I hope to do a knockout job as Volunteer Manager here at Red Licorice Events! It takes a happy demeanor, boundless energy, and organization to herd the cats that are our volunteers. I hope to make every volunteer position an opportunity for fun. I know that as a volunteer, you’re giving your precious time, and I want each person to leave with a smile on their face and wanting to come back next time.

So next time you’re at a Red Licorice Event, stop by the volunteer tent and say hi! And see for yourself why my basketball career never took off.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment