Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Adrians Buffalo Springs Race Report

Buffalo Springs ½ Ironman

Lubbock, TX

4:57

This race is going to be my most successful to date, for so many reasons. There are no “feel good” numbers as far as any Overall placing or even any Age group placing (far from it), nor was their any pr’s or stellar fast splits or avg.’s. It was an accumulation of small things that made this race so good for me.

First and fore most it was a perfectly executed race, in that a race plan was laid out (days prior and day of) and performed to perfection. Absolutely nothing went wrong for this race….at all. Thank you race Gods!

I am no stranger to multi-hour racing (mountain biking) but the half iron distance has always scared me and I have stayed away. This was only my 2nd one. Galveston last year was my first and was less than eventful.

I have learned to stay clear of the pack in the swim to the first buoy and this time was no exception. I staged myself well off to the side and don’t feel as though I lost any time for it. By the time the first buoy arrived I was well w/in 3ft. of it and avoided some 80 other fellows getting to it. The rest of the swim was very pleasant with mostly calm waters and very little contact. I just missed my mark by less than :30 sec. for the swim and finished just over 30 min.’s. I really want to see a 29:59 this year.

T1 was smooth and flowing. I appreciate the bib # signs at the end of the racks and designated racking spots.

Those that know this course know of the hills. Now I’m not saying that I am a “climber” or anything, but if given the choice of a course I would prefer a few climbs over a pancake for 56 miles. That being said the course was to my likening very much. I managed to get the bike leg done in just over 2:45. Again here I was blessed in that the wind was manageable on the flats and the sun was far from breaking through the clouds. I rode very conservatively (very uncommon for me given the bike is my strength) this race with hope of having a good run. I paid no attention to those that past me and stayed focused on my power numbers and my race. This was not so easy for me as I’ll say again that I like this type of course. I fueled a bit more off perception and desire this time around and not so much from a pre-determined script. Even though I felt conservative on the bike I still pushed a bit harder on the 2nd half of the bike and felt very good going into T2.

T2, again here the blessings don’t stop. My rack was very close to T2 entrance so I had only a few steps on the chip seal with bare feet.

I am now a “run walker” and better for it. Sure nobody wants to walk during a race at any point. However I am certain for me right now that walking 11 aid stations for no more than :15 sec.’s was all the difference in the world. So much in fact that I ran the 2nd half of the run just a bit faster than the 1st half. That’s what were supposed to do right? The sun was just coming out my last 3 miles and heating things up. Here again the perfect day. I really wanted to get this run leg done in under 1:35 but was just over 1:40. Something to shoot for next year.

I feel very good about this race and how I prepared for it in the days leading up to it with nutrition and rest and my workouts. In addition I feel like for the first time I have the multi-hour race day nutrition down pat. Most importantly having had such a good experience my 2nd time around at this distance on a more difficult course than my last ½ iron man my “fear factor” is gone. I truly that I was going to die last year at Galveston, I was so uncomfortable on the run. This race…..complete opposite. I was in total control from the get go. This was a good day and I truly hope this was not my one for the year, but if it was then it was well worth it.

Though Xterra and Mtb racing is were my heart is you can rest assured that you will be seeing me more and more at these 70.3’s. that’s for sure.

As always thanks go out to Coaches Brandon and Amy Marsh, Red Licorice Events and Performance Bikes for all of their never ending support of my endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment