Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Meet Your Red Licorice Team: Joey Trimyer

Race day is where it is at. The absolute thrill you get looking out at the athletes and spectators knowing that you made that happen is a drug you can't buy on the street. My first major event job was managing the lifeguards at the Olympics in Atlanta. Since then I've had the opportunity to work on some extraordinary races such as the Austin Marathon, Nike Human Race, and the Chicago Marathon.

When asked if I am Sweet or Twisted my answer has always been "Heck Yes" so when the time came to try something different I knew exactly where I wanted to work. Red Licorice is fanatical about the things that count while keeping a great sense of humor. So, a couple of phone calls and a brunch later and I was a Race Director/Project Manager for RLE!

As an athlete I've completed dozens of triathlons ranging from super sprints to Ironman. I also coach runners for Rogue Training, and co-own the race results site MyChipTime.com. I don't think a weekend is complete if I'm not racing, volunteering, coaching or somehow active. I think having been in on all aspects of an event gives me the empathy to make certain that athletes, spectators, sherpas, and volunteers all have a great time.

This will be my first year directing races for RLE, but already the team feels like an extended family. The culture at Red Licorice is to throw yourself at projects like it's your best friend's wedding. And then do it better. And then do it better again. I hope to live up to that standard.

See you on race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment